Estate Planning Can Prevent Problems For Your Loved Ones
With so many uncertainties in life, you realize you have little control. There are some things, however, that you can manage with a little preparation. Estate planning can give you some control over who gets your valued possessions and assets after you are gone.
It might be frightening to think about the time when you are no longer here. However, a little preparation for the unthinkable can prevent future problems for your loved ones. Our estate planning attorneys at Plopper & Partners, LLP, are ready to assist you and your family.
A properly prepared estate plan not only details who inherits your assets after you are gone but can also set a care plan for your minor children and any adults who depend on you for care and support. You can also establish a living will, detailing your wishes for medical treatment if you become incapacitated.
What Do I Need For A Good Estate Plan?
We can help you prepare your:
- Advance directives (to manage your future health care needs)
- Beneficiary designation documents
- Durable power of attorney
- Health care power of attorney
- Last will and testament
- Living will
- Name your executor
- Revocable living trust
Helping You Avoid Intestate Succession
If someone dies without a will, some of their assets will fall into Indiana’s intestate succession laws. Inheritance of anything that would have passed through your will, will be determined by the state.
There are some assets that are not affected by intestate laws. They pass to the person who co-owned the items or who you name.
- IRA, 401K and other retirement accounts
- Payable-on-death bank accounts
- Proceeds from a life insurance policy
- Property transferred to a living trust
- Property you own with someone else in joint tenancy
- Real estate held in the transfer-on-death account
- Securities held in a transfer-on-death account
- Vehicles on a transfer-on-death registration
Ensure Your Assets Pass To The People You Choose
You cherish your assets and valuables. It is important that they end up passing to the people you love after you are gone. You want some say on who gets those valued possessions. Call our Carmel office and we can help you with estate planning that can help ensure those assets go to the people you choose. Email our office or call 317-348-2157.